This is usually how we prefer to cook sweet potatoes, on the stove top. It is easy and fast. Also, we usually just scrub the potatoes well with a potato brush under running water, no need to peel, leaving the dish more beautiful and nutritious.
2 Bratwurst Links or ½ lb. Hot Italian Sausage (Purchased at SoDu Market)
Hot Pepper Flakes, amount to your liking
1 ½ lbs. Sweet Potatoes, your choice on variety, feel free to mix and match
1 C. Chicken or Vegetable Broth
1 Bunch of Kale
6 cloves of garlic, diced
Salt and Pepper to taste
This dish is still tasty without the meat, so feel free to omit it, but be sure to add some fat to your pan. For a fun spin on this dish you can top it with fried eggs.
- Prep your veggies, carefully scrub the sweet potatoes and re-wash your kale. Chop the sweet potatoes into preferred bite sized pieces and set aside. De-stem the kale and roughly chop, set aside.
- In a medium sized soup pot on medium heat, brown the sausage. If the sausage is in a casing, please un-stuff it.
- Add the sweet potatoes and ½ cup of the chicken stock. Put a lid over your pan and let the sweet potatoes cook, stirring occasionally.
- Once the potatoes are tender, add the remaining ½ cup of stock, kale and garlic. Do not stir the kale in, put the lid back on and let the kale steam for 2 minutes.
- Once the kale has turned brighter green, stir the dish and cook until the kale reaches your desired softness/texture. Serve and enjoy.